Sunday, March 7, 2010

Halle and the Bible in real life!

I guess I never really thought about the age when kids start thinking about God and Heaven. I know those that attend church on a regular basis get it from birth. But because we are not active going church members I have wondered how the discussion would come about. I am not sure if it was our babysitters talk of their grandma passing, our hamster dying, or the medical shows that Brian lets them watch with him where sometimes people die...

Lately Halle has started asking questions about God and Heaven.

Brian pulled out the Children's Bible and read her the story of Creation.
So a few days later Halle asks me, "Mom, did God make Chocolate?" I thought about it and said, "Well God created the Earth that has the dirt that the cocoa bean grew in that made your chocolate." She smiled and walked away. A little bit later she was talking about a medical show about someone losing their arm. She told me, "I could get hit by a car because I could get new arms, legs, eyes, hair, and everything else from God again." I told her it didn't work that way, that God gave you 1 body and that's it, it is your responsibility to keep it safe. Her eyes got wide and she said, "OK, I will"

A few days later I read Halle and Payton the story of Adam and Eve...

SO...we have this tree in our backyard, it is a crab apple tree and right now all of the rotten apples are uncovered because the snow has melted. The kids have started asking to go outside, and my response that day was, "Sure, but stay out of the mud and don't eat the apples." Halle piped up and said, "Because God told us not to and they are poison!" I laughed and said, "You are right, in the story we read last night God told Adam and Eve not to eat the apples, but these apples outside are not the same apples, they are just rotten." Halle got her boots and coat on and they played outside. So this morning they were over by the tree collecting things, I shouted across the lawn, "I hope you are not collecting apples, leave them alone." and Halle shouted back, "I know Mom, God told us not to eat them, we won't!"

I think the next story in the book is Noah's Ark...I can't wait to see how that goes!

2 comments:

Sallie said...

LOVE it! :)

Jill said...

Children are little sponges, aren't they? They soak up the good and the bad.