Wednesday, May 6, 2009

On a diet vs, Eating healthy

I've been taking some medication lately that has helped me increase my size by a significant amount. I am not complaining too much because I brought it on myself. However, I've decided to take a break from the meds and get some of this awful weight off! WHOA it is hard! Last Monday I started with healthy recipes and riding our stationary bike every other day 3.5 miles-a workout on the bike that takes your resistance from 1-9 and back down in 20 minutes. So the two of them together helped me shed 3 whole pounds last week, no biggest loser but 3 down! So this is the 2nd week and my sweet tooth is aching! Brian made No Bake cookies and I didn't eat a single 1, but today after the dentist I thought I would eat in Lewiston...BAD idea! So I ended up with an Arby's sandwich...BUT that is the good part too! I am NOT on a diet, they have never worked for me in the past, so I've decided to focus on eating healthy, and I have found some tasty recipes that my family husband and girls say MMMMM this is good! and eat more! I will post them when I am done.
And with my exercise I hope that I can continue to get a bit healthier.
So today I was feeling a bit BLAH, no good food and a dentist appointment and you know what I did? Chopped my hair off! 6 inches to be exact! Poor Brian, it was down the middle of my back and he was loving it, so was Payton, but alas, all good things must come to an end. I got home and Payton said, "I don't love your new hair." HAHA

On another note, APRILYNNE PIKE, we debated in High School, she and her partner Brandi were chased after by our teams guys :) and then we ended up at the same college and in the same group at church! Has published her first book! It came out yesterday! When I was in town I picked it up at Hastings! I am SO excited to read it! WAY TO GO APRILYNNE!


Ok on to the recipes-these 2 got the BIGGEST raves!

Dijon Pork Cutlets
INSTRUCTIONS

16 oz lean boneless pork chop, (8 chops)
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 spray(s) cooking spray
1/4 cup(s) water

Place pork between two sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to a 1⁄4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.

Combine mustard and next three ingredients in a small bowl. Place pork in a shallow dish; spoon 2 tablespoons mustard mixture over pork, turning to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork, and cook 4 minutes on one side; turn pork and spoon reserved mustard mixture over pork. Cook pork 2 minutes or just until done.

Add water, stirring slightly; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Turn pork to coat, and place on a serving platter. Pour pan juices over pork. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cutlets).


Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms

INSTRUCTIONS

2 tsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove(s), crushed
1 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces
2 cup(s) mushroom(s), small, halved
1/3 cup(s) canned chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled


In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil.

In a medium bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar, the mustard and garlic. Add chicken and turn to coat.

Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Sauté chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm.

Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in skillet. Sauté mushrooms for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining tablespoon of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.

Serve chicken topped with mushrooms.

1 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for posting the recipes. They look yummy and I think I will try them.